About Me

My photo
I LOVE to design and to paint whimsical items that will put a smile on your face. Each day I share my simple life with you as I try to encourage, to inspire and sometimes JUST to make you smile as I recount my life growing up on a dairy farm! I've never had many material items in my life, BUT I have been blessed beyond words with love and encouragement from WONDERFUL Parents who instilled in me WHAT was important. I have had EVERYTHING that I needed and WAY too much of what I wanted. I am slowly learning to be a better person each day through my interactions with my friends on Facebook. Some day I hope to be as good as people seem to THINK I am! I am BLESSED! Welcome to my little corner of the world...Please stop by and visit often!

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Pecans and Pimento

If idle hands truly are the Devil's workshop, then my Daddy had nothing to worry about.

Working was his hobby.

Don't get me wrong, he loved to talk to people and to pick on them, but never did he tary long. He had things to do.

When fall arrived, and winter was near, Daddy loved to pick up nuts, and crack them in his rocking chair by the gas hearter, after supper.



Each night, as he came to the house from the shop, where he cut my wood for me to paint, he would wander toward the orchard to pick up a pocket full of pecans.



With two cooks in the house, we knew how blessed we were to have a never ending supply of pecans!

When our tobacco barn burned several years ago, Daddy was kindly trying to make sure the fireman kept the GOOD Pecan tree watered, because the barn could not be saved, but the tree could produce.

I laughed at him, but he was right!



Today, as I was trying to get Charcoal to come back to the house,  I stood 8 feet away, screaming at him, as he ignored me. It drives me crazy!!

When he finally decided to acknowledge my presence on the earth, we were walking back, when I stopped to get a stick to throw, and I saw a Pecan on the ground. I had no idea there was a Pecan Tree there!



We got back inside and enjoyed the roast/carrots/potatoes/onion/celery I had cooked on this chilly morning.

He took a nap and I putzed. As the day was drawing dark, I decided to go see if there were pecans at the GOOD tree.



There was one...then another. I decided to try to get 100! I got approximately 112, in case one or two were bad, and, well, there were one or two bad ones! 😁😂🤣😃

Yep, like momma, I count stuff! 🤤

I am so excited to have a quart bag of mostly, pecan halves.


It felt so good to feel like I spent the day with Momma and Daddy, doing something that was so special to them.

Making memories out of memories.♡



All of this kinda goes along with my Facebook post about what was in your refrigerator when you grew up?

I had a friend ask HOW to make pimento cheese.

Well, y'all know that I don't measure stuff, but maybe this can get you there.



Pimento Cheese was always made with American Cheese, at my house.

As I have gotten older, I have discovered that you can use your favorite cheese or cheeses mixed.

Last night, I made my "lazy" pimento cheese.  I even mixed it right into a ziplock bag,  so all that was dirty, was the fork I used to dig out the Miracle Whip! 😁😂🤣😃😄

Of course, if you want to mix it in a bowl, as most normal people do, go for it, but really--normal??!



I simply emptied a 2 cup bag of Sharp Cheddar Cheese into a quart ziplock bag. 

Added a 4 ounce jar of chopped pimento. 

A few shakes of black pepper (If you don't like pepper, don't add it, cause momma never did! 😁😂🤣😎)

Enough Salad Dressing (Miracle Whip) to bind it together--start with 1/2 cup, and remember, when it gets cold, it will get dry, or hard. I have no idea how much, really, because I just threw in 2 big blobs..😁😂🤣



I added about 2 Tablespoons of sugar to cut the tartness.

Close the ziplock, and gently combine the ingredients.

Throw it on a piece of celery, and you have Heaven on Earth!



This is the basic recipe, and there are tons of recipes on Pinterest. Many use Cream Cheese. Some add garlic...onion...Some use different cheeses...but I have shared what I grew up eating.  Mother made it in the blender, so it was smooth.  Not much is better than pimento cheese on white bread, cut on a wedge, served alongside homemade chilli! 

If you really want something fancy, add some crushed pineapple in there...

You can add jalapeno, too!

Today has been a good day.

I am, once again, reminded of how blessed I am! 

When you get sad, pull out a favorite recipe and make it with a merry heart.

I am simply blessed to create~charlotte ♡

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Charlotte! I am sure going to try this. Sounds so easy and I love pimento cheese on celery. Never tried it on bread but I'll bet that is good, too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world. In case you haven't been told, you are loved!~~charlotte♡