About Me

My photo
I LOVE to design and to paint whimsical items that will put a smile on your face. Each day I share my simple life with you as I try to encourage, to inspire and sometimes JUST to make you smile as I recount my life growing up on a dairy farm! I've never had many material items in my life, BUT I have been blessed beyond words with love and encouragement from WONDERFUL Parents who instilled in me WHAT was important. I have had EVERYTHING that I needed and WAY too much of what I wanted. I am slowly learning to be a better person each day through my interactions with my friends on Facebook. Some day I hope to be as good as people seem to THINK I am! I am BLESSED! Welcome to my little corner of the world...Please stop by and visit often!

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Technique Tuesday: DecoArt Americana Chalky Finish

I cut out some wood yesterday and I saw this little creamer I had bought in the past for 49 cents, so I gathered it with my wood and carried it to my painting table--what is one more thing in my pile, right?

I had decided that I was going to use Chalky Finish Paint to paint the scarecrows I was making, so I quickly cleaned the little creamer and also grabbed a baby food jar, that--surprise, surprise--was also sitting on my painting table!  LOL

I thought this would be a good test to show you WHY I love DecoArt Chalky Finish paints.



New Life is one of my favorite colors.

These are the colors that I used to paint my little projects.


All I did was clean the items.


This is the first coat--don't lose hope--it will be ok.
Be sure to allow the paint to dry completely 
before adding another coat.

*IF your chalky finish has become too thick, simply add water.  I dip my brush in water and that usually makes it flow off my brush.

*No, you simply start painting--you don't have to prep the surface, except for making certain it is free from dirt/oils.



I think I added 3, maybe 4 coats of paint to the project.  
It dries so quickly, that it is easy to lose count.

This shows the first coat to the top of the baby food jar--
no problem painting on metal, either!


This shows the second coat applied--pretty amazing, huh!


See how smooth this is!  
Yes, sometimes the brush strokes show when painting, 
but you can prevent this by thinning the paint more...
Personally, I like just a bit of the texture it creates.


I decided after I got the baby food jar painted, 
that I wanted to make an ornament.  
I drilled a hole in the top.
I Gathered a piece of ripped homespun material for a hanger.
I found a stylus to use to push the material through the hole.


I used needle nose pliers to pull the material through 
and tied a note in it.


I free-handed the message with a White Charcoal pencil and painted over it with Titanium White Americana Acrylics. 
When the paint dries thoroughly, I take a clean flat brush, and wet the surface and it removes the White Charcoal pencil...
just carefully wipe it dry.

*Yes, of course you can use DecoArt Americana Acrylics 
on top of The Chalky Finish Paint!  
DecoArt Chalky Finish Paint is one of my favorite ways 
to create a background!


I drew a branch and added some pine needles and berries.
I flecked Titanium White onto the entire surface, 
placed the top back on and WOW!!
Isn't it adorable??!!


I found a saying that I liked and wrote it across the top of the creamer...
Added flowers...
Sealed it with DuraClear Soft Touch Varnish.




Of course, I wouldn't leave you hanging without 
giving you a little pattern.  LOL
I do, however, wonder if anybody has ever used 
one that I have given to you!  =)





Oh, well, we will pretend that they make you 
happy to get them, and leave it at that!!

I wish you a wonderful week and 
I hope you get to create SOMETHING.

I am simply blessed to create~~charlotte♡




1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by my little corner of the world. In case you haven't been told, you are loved!~~charlotte♡